J-TALK BRASTEL is a real-time interpreting
service for visitors to Japan and for
Japanese going abroad.
Use J-TALK BRASTEL on your smartphone or
tablet anywhere in the world - affordably!
For interpreting between Japanese and any of these languages: English, Chinese,
Korean and Thai.
Whiteboard, map and front-back camera functions make it easy for the user to interact with the interpreter.
- Multilingual supportSimply select the language you will be speaking in and an interpreter will be there to serve you.
- Handy functionsWhiteboard and camera for smoother communication supplement your words with gestures and pictures.
navigationEasy to use and understand.
(Japan Standard Time UTC +9)
10 am - 10 pm（Thai: 10 am - 7 pm）
English service also available at these times:
Summer time (March, 12 - November, 6):
1 am - 10 am
Winter time (November, 7 - March, 11):
2 am - 10 am
Have you ever been in a situation where you couldn't communicate?
- Shopping or eating out
- Asking for directions
- Unwell and looking for a hospital
- Looking for your luggage at the airport
- Victim of a robbery or in other trouble
No worries!Travel with J-TALK BRASTEL and use
the app whenever you need it!
J-TALK BRASTEL is not for use during business negotiations, medical examination,
juridical trials or any other services requiring qualified, expert personnel.
EASY TO NAVIGATE!
IF YOU HAVE A BRASTEL CARD YOU CAN USE THE SERVICE RIGHT AWAY!
No complicated settings or
Just download the app then login with your Brastel card access code and PIN!
"J-TALK" FREE APP
LOGIN WITH ACCESS CODE (The 12-digits number on your Brastel card)
CHOOSE THE LANGUAGE AND START USING!
At the first login you will need to purchase the plan. Please charge your Brastel card first. See below for how to charge your Brastel card.
SCREENUse the map while asking for directions by way of the interpreting service.
- WHITEBOARD SCREENWriting on the whiteboard can help you communicate better and faster.
SCREENShow with the camera what you want to have interpreted.
Get a Brastel Card
anywhere in Japan
Get a prepaid rechargeable Brastel Card at any of the following distribution points.
Recharge of Brastel Card is also possible at locations marked with a ""
- ※The Brastel Card itself is free - you just pay to charge it.
- ※Please understand that distribution points can run out of stock.
The Brastel Card can be recharged multiple times.
Please recharge your Brastel Card at any convenience store, at one of the authorized distribution points, or online with your credit card or PayPal account.
HOW TO RECHARGE
Recharge first Brastel Card to use the J-Talk service.
Please choose a payment method: online with credit card or PayPal, at convenience stores or at one of the authorized distribution points.
Please choose your plan of preference:
- ※You can use the service as many times as you want, but one conversation is limited to 10 minutes.
- ※The price above shows the rate only for the J-Talk Brastel service. Terminal equipment and data communication expenses apply separately.
- ※The above rates include consumption tax.
The expiration will be set at the moment you purchase the plan.
The purchased plan cannot be used after its expiration.
- TRIAL PLANEx: Plan is purchased on 1st of August at 11:00:00 am
Plan expires on 1st of August at 11:29:59 am
- 1-DAY PLAN
Ex: Plan is purchased on 1st of August at 11:00:00 am
Plan expires on 2nd of August at 10:59:59 am
- 7-DAY PLAN
Ex: Plan is purchased on 1st of August at 11:00:00 am
Plan expires on 7th of August at 10:59:59 am
- ※The plan can be purchased out of service operation hours. Therefore please purchase after checking interpreters' working hours.
Service usage can be checked via the Account screen. (Brastel card number, expiration date, usage history).
- What are the device requirements for the service?
- The app can be used with the below devices with iOS 8.3 or later / Android 4.4 or later.・iOSiPhone 5 / iPhone 5c / iPhone 5s / iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus / iPhone 6s / iPhone 6s Plus
iPad (4th generation) / iPad Air / iPad Air 2 / iPad mini 2 / iPad mini 3 / iPad mini 4
※Not possible to use with: iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS / iPhone 4 / iPhone 4s / iPad (1st generation) / iPad 2 / iPad (3rd generation) / iPad mini (1st generation)・AndroidRecommended specs: Android 4.4 or later, CPU: quad core or higher, display: HD 1280☓720 or higher
The service has been tested on the following Android devices:
Samsung GALAXY S3 docomo SC-06D / Samsung GALAXY J docomo SC-02F / Samsung GALAXY S4 docomo SC-04E / Sony Xperia A docomo SO-04E / Sony Xperia Z1 docomo SO-01F / Huawei honor6 Plus / HTC J butterfly HTL21 / Xiaomi Mi 4 LTE-CT / Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 / Google Nexus 7 / Google Nexus 6 / Google Nexus 5※Please note, that depending on the model and environment, app operation may be unstable even with recommended specifications.
- What Internet environment can the app be used with?
- The app can be used with Wi-Fi, 4G/LTE or 3G with internet speed of 1 Mbps or faster. If the connection speed is 1Mbps or lower or in the case of 3G phones, please use the Voice Only option when connecting to the interpreter.
- Can I get interpreting for matters that require an expert or a qualified interpreter?
- No. The service provides conversational-level interpreting. Interpreting for business negotiations, technical meetings, medical or legal councelling and other types of specialist content are not provided.
- Is there a time-limit for each use?
- There is a 10 minute limit for each use. The connection is automatically disconnected after 10 minutes. When reconnected, there is no guarantee that the same interpreter will pick up the call.
- What are the operation hours?
- The interpreting service is available from 10 am till 10 pm Japan Standard Time (UTC +9) even if you are using the service outside of Japan. Depending on the language the time schedule may differ.
- What if the call quality is poor and I cannot hear the interpreter?
- Please choose the Voice Only option under the Call Quality Options.
- Can I ask the interpreter about things not related to the interpreting service?
- Using J-Talk for non-interpreting activities such as practicing a foreign language, having personal conversations, asking information about local culture/customs or use in club activities is not permitted.
- How do I pay for the service?
- To start using the service you need to purchase a plan directly using the Brastel Card. Please recharge your Brastel Card first. It is also possible to recharge it online with credit card or your PayPal account.
- I have purchased a plan to use the service already, but did not need to use the service. Can I get a refund?
- No, refunds are not possible.
- When using the map, my present location is not displayed correctly. What should I do?
- When using the iPhone/iPad (Cellular) indoors, pinpointing the positional information may take time or the incorrect location may be displayed. In the case of the iPad Wi-Fi model, positional information may not be displayed or the displayed position may be several kilometers away. This is due to the fact that it may take time for the correct positional information to be displayed. It is not a problem with the app. Please be patient while the map finds your correct location.
- Is it possible to extend the plan validity?
- No. Please purchase a new plan.
- ●Refunds of Brastel Card recharges are not possible.
- ●The service expiration date and time is set according to JST (UTC +9) after the plan is purchased. The service cannot be used after the plan has expired.
- ●Operation hours are shown according to Japan Standard Time.
- ●Please check interpreters' schedules when using services out of Japan.
- ●English extended working hours (Tuesday - Sunday):
summer time (March, 12 - November, 6): 1 am - 10 am
winter time (November, 7 - March, 11): 2 am - 10 am
English extended working hours do not apply on Mondays (JST) and USA holidays.
- ●Thai working hours: 10 am - 7 pm
- ●To use the Brastel Card with J-TALK BRASTEL please choose "Login with J-TALK BRASTEL account".
- ●Please first download the app for free from the App Store or Google Play.
- ●Plans can be purchased outside of service operation hours. Please purchase after checking interpreters' working hours.
- ・App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
- ・Apple, iPad, and iPhone are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and other countries.
- ・The “iPhone” trademark is used under license by Aiphone Co., Ltd.
- ・Android, the Android logo, and Google Play are registered trademarks or trademarks of Google, Inc.